Re: FC4 -> FC6 dvd writer not detected

Douglas Phillipson wrote:

After I upgraded to FC6 my DVD writer was no longer detected, I suspect because I had to comment out a line in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules to get my machine to boot. What can I do to get the DVD detected and the device made for it, after the machine is booted. Because I had to comment out the following line in 50-udev.rules:

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="?*", ENV{MODALIAS}=="?*", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe $env{MODALIAS}"

I had to put: "/sbin/modprobe snd-emu10k1" in /etc/rc.local for my sound card driver to be loaded. I assume I need another modprobe command for my DVD, I just don't know what it is...

Thanks

Doug p

I've tried to ask about this problem several times, each in a different way, but gotten no response. Am I asking a dumb question, or giving insufficient details of my problem? I'm really stuck here, any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Doug P

I did a search on env Mod alias and ended up with many hits. Most refer to modprobe. I have no idea but wonder if the reference to running out of memory with certain devices is causing you the problem. I'd investigate why it is hanging and try to get this normalized to normal scripts. Maybe more memory or something might help overcome the problem.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=ENV%7BMODALIAS%7D&btnG=Search

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0601.1/2825.html

Jim

--