Re: WebCam System.

Ferguson, Michael wrote:
G'Day List,

Someone just inquired of me on how to have a number of WebCams for security around their house recording and possibly available for very very secure internet access. They have a very high end residence already with a wired LAN DSL etc, etc.

My first thought is Fedora. Can someone post some ideas so I can recommend something it to them.
Cameras must have good resolution with possible night time capability.
Outside cameras must be weather hardy.

Thanks much.

Mike F.

Also there are a couple of nice pieces of software that
work with USB web cams and will only collect images when motion
happens (I believe one of them is called motion), and motion
at least also lets supply a image that will allow you to tell
it to ignore motion in part of the image (nice for things that
move in the wind like trees).

I used the motion thing for a while and it does appear to
work pretty good, I compiled it from source, I don't know
if there is a package already done for it.

I was using a logitech pro 4000 cam and it worked pretty good,
640x480, but does not work the best in low light conditions.

With any of the USB cams there is going to be a cabling limit,
so you may want to use the higher dollar ethernet cams that
don't have such a cabling limit, and then find something similar
to motion (or modify motion if necessary) to work with them.

And all of the optical zoom ethernet cameras look pretty nice,
but are all fairly expensive ($600+).

                           Roger