Re: problem with samba...

Scott van Looy wrote:
> Samba can't find my "users" group. And when I do "groups" it doesn't
> show up here either. It was added using system-config-users
>
>From the groups man page:

groups - print the groups a user is in

It looks like you are not part of the users group. If you want to
see if there is a group called users, try running:

grep users /etc/group

> I actually removed the existing group and replaced it with the
> system-config-users generated one.

Unless you added the users to the group after you created it,
chances are that the group users does not have any members. When you
deleted the users group, you removed all the members at the same
time. Re-creating the group does not put them back. I would also
expect that the group you added has a different group ID then the
old one.

<-------------------[ SNIP ]------------------>

> Have I done something wrong? Or is there a bug? Or has something changed
> in the way the config works?

Deleting a re-creating a group needs to be done with care. Linux
uses the GID (number), and not the group name for things like group
ownership of files. Unless you look at the GID before deleting the
group, and specify the same GID when re-creating the group, you run
the risk of leaving files/directories with GIDs that do not map to a
group name.

When did this stop working, and exactly what error message are you
seeing? I suspect that it started when you deleted and re-created
the users group, and Samba is complaining that it can not access the
files/directories with group users. If that is the case, then you
will need to delete the users group, and re-create it with the old
GID, or change the group on the directories to the new users GID.

Mikkel