Re: Backup and Restor MBR

Hadders wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:
The MBR is the Master Boot Record, which is 512 bytes long.
The MBR comprises three parts

[snip]

Thanks for that info. I'm after the lot. I intend to back it up and then restore it after I install Vista, which of course, will nail the MBR during install.

Ok, as I said, I don't like to presume what other people's goals
are, until I ask.

Even if you didn't want to restore the PT portion of the MBR, you
should save it off so that if you need it later (Murphy being
who he is) you'll have it.

If you don't want to clobber the PT when you restore, then
the same dd command with source and destination reversed,
but the block size set smaller does work.

All this is dangerous, of course, to your data. Don't try this
at home. Keep out of the hands of small children. I take
no responsibility, etc. :-)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.