Re: cpu overheating

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:05:48 -0500
"Mike Chalmers" <mikechalmers70@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When I ran "yum update", when it started to install the updates it
> said something like cpu 0 overheating cpu 1 overheating. Then my

That means your system reported via ACPI that an overheat situation was
occurring. There are a couple of reasons this can happen, the first would
be that your PC is broken - and the fact "yum update" triggered it is
perhaps indicative of this. The second is that the ACPI code in the BIOS
is buggy and the warning is bogus.

There are multiple bands of overheating on a PC and properly designed and
built systems will shut down without OS intervention when the temperature
hits a hazardous level. This is done because the user may be running a
legacy environment (eg booting Win95 to play a Win/XP incompatible game)
and also because the OS may have crashed beforehand, and since errors
such as memory errors may occur before the risk of damage, the OS is
actually quite likely to have crashed

> Don't get me wrong I think Linux is a gem. I like the GPL but I don't
> like how company's can use people's software and make profit. The
> people that make the software should be getting paid if anyone is
> getting paid.

We are 8)

Alan