Re: no such device address

Hadders wrote:
Hi all,
Trying to get my Intel SATA RAID Container working with the latest kernel.

In runlevel 1, if I do a mkinitrd I get the error message:

device-mapper: deps ioctl failed: No such device or address
_deps: task run failed for (253:0)

Not sure what to do?

Thanks for any advice. Hadders

Hmmm, got cunning and loaded the 2.6.18-1.2239smp kernel into my PATA hard disk. Then loaded up and noticed that device-mapper was at version 4.7 (previously 4.5) in the base kernel. Did the dmraid -a n && dmraid -a y to unload/load it. And it stopped complaining. Then edited my fstab and made the root and boot mappings point to my /dev/mapper devices and built an initrd. Then copied that over to the raid boot and tried to load with it. Didn't complain any more but still couldn't find root.

Just wondering if I can load the 2.6.18 kernel off my ATA drive and then "swap" root directories out from under it, would that effect the make initrd? effectively remounting root and then rebuilding initrd?

Thanks