Re: [New] How to really muck up firefox

gary wrote:
On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 16:00 -0800, Les wrote:
I'm still in there swinging, but I hab a vad cod and cand dink
strait....;-)

I tried installing the new firefox, and it went badly.  Next I tried to
get it working by updating the Java with the sun linux jre.  That mucked
it up worse.  Then I wanted to go back to the original.  Even worse,
because now neither version recognized any of the media stuff, not
flash, not mplayer, not java NADA!

  OK, I thought, just uninstall the works, then eliminate the new
firefox files, and finally reinstall the whole Java, mplayer, totem,
etc.  So, I opened the add/remove software and removed all the stuff
that said Java, and accepted uninstalling all related packages, thinking
that when I reinstalled them via the same mechanism, everything would
come back.

  Now nothing at all works in the old version of firefox (except basic
HTML and it parses badly, which seems to be a problem for javascript
anyway, since it doesn't do well with lines that have been commented out
with "#" this is typically a compiler error where the standard parse
string has left "#" out of the single char string for parsing).

 I'm guessing you need to get into .mozilla and clean out your firefox
folder???     -----gary

Sounds like a possibility. I'd add that FF has very little to do with
Java except as a plugin (JavaScript being a different language, and
FF's JS interpreter is a core part of Mozilla).  Why the upgrade to
2.0 wouldn't work I don't know, but I usually install or run binary
packages in ~/opt to avoid damaging packed components.

--
imalone