Re: where is grub-reboot or something similar as "lilo -R"?

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 10:54 +0100, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> I am searching for a way to revert boot to old kernel in case boot
> fails.
> It is for a remote machine, so reverting should be automated.
> With lilo, it's about the "-R" option.
> With grub, I heard about a "grub-reboot" tool, but FC5 does not have it.

Sounds like you want the fallback parameter (see the grub info file).
If whichever entry as your default doesn't boot, it tries the fallback
one.  They both use a number as a parameter, so if your default was 1,
try your default as 2 (the next oldest one).

I'm not sure if this'll do the trick, though.  It depends on where the
failure happens:  If GRUB isn't able to find something to start booting,
I'd expect it to take action.  If GRUB has tried to boot a kernel, and
passed over to it, and the kernel fails to load, I wouldn't expect GRUB
to do anything about it.

--
Test running FC6 & FC5, and still using FC4.
I delete all private mail, unseen.  I read from the list.