Re: Old livna kmod

Mauriat Miranda wrote:
On 12/10/06, Hadders <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I'm just wondering how I get an old kernel module from livna kmod?

I need to get the module for 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp, how would I go that?

Sorry but I think this is impossible. I don't think that module ever existed.

The 2.6.15-1.2054 kernel in FC5 shipped with a tiny bug that prevented
binary (non-GPL) modules from properly loading. This included the
nvidia driver.

As I recall 2.6.16-1.2080 was the first FC5 kernel that livna supported.

A  yum --enablerepo livna list kmod-nvidia only shows me the installed
ones and that latest one.

In general I think that livna will package the latest drivers against
the latest kernel. This will in general skip several combinations of
kernels and drivers.

You are better off manually compiling the driver. However in this case
you might have problem because of the broken kernel.

The other recommendation is to download the livna SRC.rpm and slightly
modify it for your kernel. This is pretty easy.

-Mauriat

ps. The problem with the kernel could be easily fixed if you insert a
stubbed print_tainted definition in one of the .c files.

Thanks for the tip.  However, I plan to escape the stock kernel! ;-)

I just need to work out why the latest kernel doesn't have an initrd that supports my RAID container. There must be some reason as to why the stock one works, but the latest doesn't?

A person over on the ata.raid mailing list has suggested a method for deactivating/activating the container then rebuilding the initrd for the kernel.