Re: floppy drive and FC5

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Thursday 07 December 2006 17:49, john s. wrote:
Nigel Henry wrote:
On Wednesday 06 December 2006 17:31, john s. wrote:
oldman wrote:
I'm fairly new to linux;  where would I log into root and enter mount?
FC5 removed removable devices from /etc/fstab, and in the case of
cdrom/dvdrom drives there is no problem as, at least on KDE a window
opens when you put a disc in the drive, asking what you want to do with
it. In the case of the floppy drive, which is incapable of automounting,
I did the following.

Open a terminal, type su, enter, then your root password, enter, then
type.

mkdir media/floppy

Now type Gedit, Kwrite, or editor of your choice. When the editor opens,
choose filesystem, then on the right, etc, then, fstab. You have to write
a new line here.

/dev/fd0         /media/floppy        auto        noauto,owner      0 0

Save the changes in the editor, and close it , then exit the CLI
(Konsole)

When you reboot fstab will be updated.

If your using KDE, you can click on the "Home" icon, then the edit menu,
create new/device/floppy device, and fill in the info required. You can
then put an icon on the desktop for the floppy device.

Nigel.
  The floppy icon shows up now, but I'm getting this message when I
click on it (with different discs in the drive- nothing to do with the
error message)

       mount: mount point /media/floppy does not exist

??? About what to do now.

        John

Doh! This worked first go for me on FC5. Have a look in /media to check that the floppy directory is there, that you created when as root you ran.
mkdir /media/floppy

There shouldn't be any permissions issues with the floppy. I did though create the floppy directory in /mnt on FC5, but don't see that creating it in /media should make any difference.

Are you using KDE? If so, with Kdisk free, and right clicking on the floppy, can you mount it from there, and then when it mounts, right click again, and open it in a file manager?

Nigel.

Well, its working now; not sure what I did- been working on it for approx 45mins... Thanks!