Re: nvidia sucks again ! Was recent wine crashes fc6 sessions

Le dimanche 10 décembre 2006 à 16:17 +0000, monty19@ hotmail.com a
écrit :
> "Jim Cornette" <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >>
> >>Google buying out NVidia and freeing their driver might be fantasy, but
> >>here in real world, there's this:
> >>http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/
> >>It isn't ready for end users yet, but soon it will be. They already have
> >>glxgears running for some NVidia cards.
> >>
> >>I'd not buy an NVidia card now, but when Nouveau will work, why not?
> >>
> >>         Kevin Kofler
> >>

> >I tried out the nouveau driver. It is not ready for prime-time but does
> >work and compile on my NV card. I believe that the driver will be part of
> >Fedora in the near future. There is interest in getting this driver in the
> >Fedora fold.
> >
> >I didn't buy the NV card intentionally, the lack of OSS support for 3D is
> >one reason I'd not purchase the card on my own. Maybe when high end cards
> >work by default in Linux, I'd consider purchasing the product.
> >
> >Jim
>
> Livna just updated the drivers for nvidia within the last few days.  Among
> wonderful improvements that I've noticed with Cedega are that World of
> Warcraft now displays correctly without having to use the OpenGL option in
> the game config (which was way slower), and the X Server no longer crashes
> when I try to run games full screen.  Obviously mileage may vary, but if you
> have already tried with the previous driver, you may want to have a go with
> the newer one.  It was a vast improvement for me.

With the new livna driver and desktop effects enabled when i maximize
and unmaximize googleearth window two or 3 times the X server crash and
go to the login screen. I have to say that i have other problems with
googleearth as i can only see a circle of atmosphere with no globe in
between, only stars. Sometimes maximize and unmaximize the window i can
see the earth just before the X server crash ...

Eric