Re: building CVS rpm versioning

Todd Zullinger wrote:
Ian Malone wrote:
I'd like to build an RPM or two from the CVS source, while I can get
rpmbuild to spit out a set of RPMs I'd like to be able to do the
versioning so a new release from Core/Extras/elsewhere would still
replace it once available.  What's the best way to go about this?

Check out the Naming Guidelines page on the Fedora Wiki:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#head-18aa467fc6925455e44be682fd336667a17e8933

There you'll find some guidelines with a discussion of how to handle
cvs versions and such.

A quick example.  Say you're building gtkpod from CVS.

You could use something like this in your spec file:

%define cvs_date 20061126

Name: gtkpod
Version: 0.99.9
Release: 0.2.%{cvs_date}

This way, whenever 0.99.9 is released you can simply bump the Release
field to 1 and it will take precedence over all of your 0.99.9 CVS
builds.

Perfect, thanks.

--
imalone