Re: Installing Firefox 2.0

On 12/9/06, Les <hlhowell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, guys,
   Just the noob again.  I have the firefox2.0.tar.gz file.  However
there is no install script that I can find.  Nor is it and RPM, so how
do I install it?  The firefox.org website for installation says:
Installing Firefox 2
Please note that installing Firefox 2 will overwrite your existing
installation of Firefox. You won't lose any of your bookmarks or
browsing history, but some of your extensions and other add-ons might
not work until updates for them are made available.

Firefox will run right out of the un-archived download  (Rirefox2.0.tar.gz).  There is something you need to install before it works, you will have to cd into that firefox directory and run it from the command line to see what it is as I don't remember off the top fo my head.

I don't recall it overwriting my RPM install of firefox, but what it will do is ask you if you want it to be the primary browser.  If you select yes, then it makes a custom change in your application prefs.  You can always set it back to the original version by going into there and selected it  again.

DUH!!! I'm sorry, but this is not helpful, at least to me anyway.  So,
please take pity on the poor noob and provide some guidance on what I
need to do.

  I did do a feedback email to the firefox website, but I expect ya'll
will be faster and more thorough for a noob.

Thanks,
Les H