Re: How many discs

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 09/12/06, David G. Miller <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A default desktop install (no servers, Gnome, accept all defaults that
> affect which packages get installed) requires the first three disks.  I
> saw this behavior on both i386 and x86_64 installs.  I actually only
> burnt the first three disks for the x86_64 install and then just used
> yum to add anything else I wanted on the system.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Just to start a fight:
That's the reason that I pass around Kubuntu discs instead of FC. A
single disc is all people are willing to put up with.

Dotan Cohen
It probably wouldn't be that hard to craft a minimal single install cd for Fedora that creates a basic system with networking. The real installer then runs after the initial install and allows the user to pick and choose packages that get installed from remote repositories using yum. The initial Fedora install cd already has the i386 kernel and enough of X to support a graphical install so it could even be fully "graphical."

This would be a nice option for people who have a fast network connection. Integrate it with PXE and kickstart and a business or school could rapidly install to lots of systems. Also, it would probably get more people to consider "passing around" Fedora.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce