Re: MMS stuff and Totem

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 11:22:41 -0400, Ted Gervais wrote:

> I am sure that mms stuff and totem have been discussed before but can't
> seem to find anything in the archives that specifically concerns my
> interest.  I wish there was a way to search the fedora archives so it
> would be easier to find what you are looking for?? (Is there a way??).

Download the archives, unpack them and grep for "totem".
Just a couple of days ago though there was a thread on the same topic.

> Now my question is this:
>
> otem could not play
> 'mms://wmscnn.stream.aol.com.edgestreams.net/cnn/world/2006/12/07/eccleston.uk.spy.funeral.affl.ws.wmv'.
>
> Has anyone been successful with FC6 to be able to view the video streams
> found on CNN.

Yes. Not with totem though. Install mplayer and mplayerplug-in from livna,
then install the windows codecs from http://www.mplayerhq.hu and put them
in /usr/local/lib/win32.

Any video format has its own codecs i.e. a piece of software that
codes/decodes the information specific to that format. The wmv format is a
windows multimedia format. Mplayer does some wizardry and calls some
windows dlls (more or less) to play wmv.