Re: How to setup 56K dailup connection.

On 08Dec2006 12:06, Stephen Liu <satimis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| FC6
| 56K external modem - serial port connection

Excellent.

| Just finished installation and unable to setup 56k connection.
| On Network Configuration;

Using the "system-config-network" command?

I'm just hopping through it now (but haven't got a modem connected).

The front screen offers me some tabs, with the "Devices" tab chosen.
I selected the "New" button above the tab.
Then "Modem connection" from the Device Type menu.
It tried probing (found nothing of course for me). I gather it found
your modem. Did it tell you what device it picked for it?
It offered me /dev/modem. I have no such item.
I've filled out a bogus ISP and phone number and login/password.
Next screen is IP Settings which default to automatic PPP,
which is normally fine for an ISP.

It did not create a /dev/modem for me.

I suggest you determine which serial port your modem is connected to
(most likely /dev/ttyS0 or maybe /dev/ttyS1). Choose that as your
device.

Have you tried the "Activate" button in this tool?

I may not be able to help much further, lacking a modem. I'm doing this
from memory from when I last used a modem.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Peeve:  Going to our favorite breakfast place, only to find that they were
        hit by a car...AND WE MISSED IT.
                - Don Baldwin, <donb@xxxxxxxxxx>