Simple Samba Setup

I am trying to setup what I think is the simplest samba setup and am now completely bald with frustration. (I did not have much hair to start with so this sounds much worse than it really is :-> )

Here is what I am attempting:
- Share a directory read/write to a specific set of users
- The user, on windows-xp, should be able to \\linux\share
- They should be able to enter both a userid and password
- The userid and password should be the one on the linux box

This sounds simple but I am missing it some where. I guess my first question is "Is this even possible?"

So far, all combinations of security have had the same result. The user is presented with a login screen that pre-fills the userid field with something bogus and does not let them change it. No password supplied is ever accepted.

<pitiful, large eyes with that irresistible pleading look>
  help?
</pitiful, large eyes with that irresistible pleading look>

$ rpm -qa | grep samba
samba-3.0.23c-2
samba-common-3.0.23c-2
samba-client-3.0.23c-2

$ uname -a
Linux me.at.my.com 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 #1 SMP Fri Nov 10 12:45:28 EST 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

begin:vcard
fn:Paul Lemmons
n:Lemmons;Paul
org:Tucson Medical Center;Information Services
adr:;;5301 E. Grant Road;Tucson;AZ;85712;USA
email;internet:paul.lemmons@xxxxxxxxx
title:Lead Systems Software Engineer
tel;work:520-324-1034
tel;fax:520-324-1206