Re: floppy drive and FC5

Mike McCarty wrote:
john s. wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

I'm fairly new to linux;  where would I log into root and enter mount?

In any terminal window, use su. Be sure to use the "-" after the command

[jmccarty@Presario-1 0DataSheets]$ su -

[snip]

I forgot to add: It's considered bad form actually to log on
as root. Become root only as necessity dictates. I have never
actually logged onto my machine as root.

 Thanks; I'm getting mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device.

Hmm. This can be because /dev/fd0 is messed up, and is not the
correct driver, or because you have a hardware problem. One
possible hardware problem is a floppy disc which is bad.

Do you have a floppy drive installed?
Do you have a good floppy disc in it? Are you sure? [1]
Is the floppy disc door closed if it has one?
Is the floppy fully inserted and latched into place?
Have you tried shutting down, turning off, unplugging the machine,
and then reseating the floppy cable on both ends? Ditto
checking the power cable to the floppy and reseating it?

[1] IOW, can the floppy be read on another machine?

Mike
The weekend box, I tried all the tricks I know (which are generally what you suggested and more), to see if I had a bad drive. 5 still doesn't see the drive, no matter which one it is (I have like 10 drives here- willing to bet, 5 won't see any). Not having the floppy working is a no biggie on this box- the other, I'd like to sell at some point... How come no one told me years ago, once you buy a computer, they multiply like rabbits?

               John