slow loading

Hello all,

Recently I had an opportunity to make up a live CD for a friend who is curious
about Linux but is nervous about losing his current investment in programs
and data, the usual concerns. I didn't want a very geeky distro even though I
use FC5 myself, so I downloaded Ubuntu and burned the .iso for him. I booted
the CD to check it out for a good burn and because I haven't looked at Ubuntu
for a while and was just curious.

I use FC5 as a standard desktop user, word processing, email, web browsing,
some streaming audio, nothing special. One thing I was immediately struck by
was the big difference in speed running off the CD. OpenOffice Writer loaded
about two times faster from the Live CD than from my hard drive (a 120 gig
Samsung IDE) after a fresh boot and about a two second load time for
subsequent starts. This was consistent over several system reboots. Likewise
for Firefox 1.5, probably the live CD is two or three times faster loading
from CD than from my hard drive. I didn't run into any noticeable limits on
number of windows open or general responsiveness, just faster operation.

Why is Fedora slower? Is there some erason why the design improvements in
Ubuntu can't be incorporated into FC7? Is there work underway to do this?

My system is trés ordinaire, I'd say, and ASUS A8N-VM mobo with on-board
graphics, 3 gigs of DDR2 333 and the Samsung IDE drive. Odd, eh?

Dave

--
"The economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment."
   -- Herman Daly, former senior economist at the World Bank.