New thread, firefox vs media players

Greetings;

I found a message that half-assedly described what to do with a missformed
prefs.js line and fixed that.  That, FWIW, fixed the firefox silent exit
problems except for one, which I'll describe next.

I found that the desktop icon on the toolbar was from an older version of
something and didn't point at firefox, instead letting the system use its
default browser (apparently, I'm reading between the lines here) which
may or may not have been firefox, changed it to point
at /usr/bin/firefox, then discovered that was an older file and copied
over the script /usr/bin/firefox with the latest 1.5.0.8/firefox starter
script.

That cost me nearly all the plugins that were being displayed in the
about:plugins display.  So I go correlate what showns with the contents
of the various plugins dirs that mozilla leaves laying around all over
the place, and copied into that dir, the plugins from the other dirs that
weren't there.

Just now I was on cnn.com, tried to play one of their stories and killed
firefox as usual, but it waited till the movie player window was opened
this time, and spit out this on the shell that launched it:

/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.8/firefox-bin: symbol lookup
error: /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.8/plugins/libvlcplugin.so: undefined
symbol: XtWindowToWidget

Now, the libvlcplugin.so that I moved into that plugins dir from another
browsers plugins dir DIDN'T come with the vlc that I installed from
freshrpms so obviously somethings a bit fubar here.  That version of vlc
appears to have at least 100 plugins installed in its various sub
directories of /usr/lib/vlc, none of which are named libvlcplugin.so, so
I have NDI how to fix this other than nuking that particular file.
However, the about:plugins display in the vlc section looks plumb normal,
with a total of 21 file formats it claims to support.  I did remove it,
went to abcnews but their stuff all needs flash 8 or newer, so cnn.com is
next, and mplayer is stuck in a loop forever downloading the video but
never playing it.  So thats what I have now, zip again but for obviously
different reasons.

What is the recommendation of the experts here?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)