Re: badblocks -vw

Mike McCarty wrote:
Hadders wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

You've got some misconceptions. Those drives do sector remapping. Using
read/write tests won't detect this, as the FEC on the discs will hide
the errors. You need to query the disc itself for the knowledge it
has.

# smartctl -a /dev/hdx
# hdparm -I /dev/hdx

may help.

Mike

Okay, that makes sense. But I need to write something to them to have the FEC detect a failure and remap it?

You do that all the time when you use the disc. A new disc from
the manufacturer has already been through more stringent tests
than you can do at home. I look at that data about 2 or 3x per
year, and I haven't seen any errors on my disc yet.

Mike
I like to test new disks that show up through the courier, especially when they weren't well packaged (like these ones) The manufacturer tests them, for themselves, but once they leave there, who knows what abuse they can suffer. I figure a small home test to detect an obvious fault is worth doing off the mark. After that... who knows.

Usually disks for me have failed in the first month of continuous operation. I have been sent disks that had errors with badblocks off the mark too.