Re: How to encrypt and burn to dvdr my home dir?

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 22:44 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Christian Burger wrote:

> >>After encryption, it isn't going to compress.
> >>
> >>Mike
> >

> > Nope not much if any...  but rar will chunk it into 650 meg or whatever size
>
> Not any. In fact, it will grow.
>
> > chunks that are desired....
>
> So will split, which is a standard distribution, whereas rar is
> not. If you want to be able to verify with some sort of check
> sum, then md5sum or sha1 are superior for that, and are also
> standard distribution.
>
> Use the right tool for the job.
>
> Mike

Sorry for the late response but moving from Thunderbird :) :) to
evolution :( :( and still trying to get it to work.

One thing that RAR offers that split doesn't is a way to check and
repair files.  Basic encryption is also offered.  Better than zip
though.