Re: Totem=noshow

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Monday 04 December 2006 07:51, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
Now what the heck do I do?

Usually, you delete /var/lib/rpm/__db.* and then rpm --rebuilddb.

Just did that, and now the rebuild is actually running, eating
considerable amounts of cpu.  Now its done, and there are NO __db.00x
files.  But yumex seems to be running ok.

Back to the original quest, to get jdk1_5_10 installed, I now have the
non-rpm'd version unpacked in /usr/src, but I'm not seeing any
installation instructions so I need assistance with this.

I believe it was my trying to install their rpm package, which was packed
with rpm-4.0.4, and which caused rpm-4.4.3 to segfault & exit, is what
hosed my database in the first place.  Is this a known gotcha with
rpm-4.4.3?

Not sure.

So now I'm back to get the other package to see what falls out of the
regular linux.bin file.

Ok, that unpacked, now where can I find a .spec file so that I can
pack it with the newer rpm & then install it?  Or is that not the
correct procedure now?

I'd like to do this, so its a valid part of the rpm database, can I get
the .spec file somewhere?  Or, maybe even better, get it in the right
format from the OpenJava site, but the propaganda all reads like its
source only & doesn't seem to say if it will build with the current gcc.

As I (sort of) pointed out in another post, the best bet is the NOSRC rpms for Sun Java from jpackage.org. You grab the .nosrc.rpm from jpackage and the .bin installer from Sun and follow the instructions on the jpackage site.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu