On 12/3/06, Norm <[email protected]> wrote:
gary wrote: > On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 22:30 -0800, Norm wrote: > >> I had to reinstall Core 6. Everything has gone well until I tried to >> up date >> At the command line if I try yum update I get the following error >> ftp://ftp.safe.ca/pub/clement-2.1/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] >> IOError: [Errno ftp error] 550 Failed to change directory. >> Trying other mirror. >> Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: clement >> From the gui if I use the "software updater" I receive this error in an >> "unable to retrieve information box "Cannot open/read repomd.xml file >> for repository: clement" >> I have yum updater enabled but it does not return any indication of >> updates after I reboot the system. >> When I go to the ftp site I notice that there seems to be a missing >> subdirectory in the address between clement-2.1 and repodata. the ftp >> site indicates there should be a "fc6" subdirectory. The bottom is >> there must be another way to do updates, what is it? >> Norm >> >> >> > > Google - check this = http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=139609 > ----------gary > > Thanks for the link, I think the problem may be solved. When I reinstalled core 6 I decided to add a number of packages before I did the update. One of the packages was clement. There was a reference to clement causing the problem I had. I decided to uninstal clement. did a yum clean all and rebooted. After the reboot it seemed to be taking forever for the yum updater to do anything so I went to the command line and gave yum upgrade a try. After a considerable period the command line upgrade reported 147 packages to upgrade and the gnome interface upgrade reported 113. I have gone with the command line upgrade and am now waiting for it to complete its process of installing 293 transaction. At this point it all appears to be working. I thought I would give this method a try before I went to Kam's work around and only as a last resort before another reinstall would I use Smart. The last time I used Smart it destroyed my gnome setup and insisted that I use KDE -I thought using Linux was to give me choices - it seems Smart does not believe in choices.
That is not smart's fault. Blame the KDE packager(s) for overwriting /etc/sysconfig/desktop and replacing its contents with DESKTOP="KDE" and DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE. The problem has happened to me many times when I updated KDE. Hopefully, this behavior has ended.
Once things all up to-date and settled down I plan to try clement again to see if the problem returns - I am not sure yet whether I should describe the problem as a bug or just treat it as an incompatibility between Yum and Clement. Thanks for the help Norm