Re: Can't get GRUB installed.

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 15:56 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 18:46 -0400, Ted Gervais wrote:
> > I am having trouble booting up core6.  I installed it earlier today and
> > after trying to find a way to get Grub to work I formatted the drive and
> > started over.
> >
> > Now I am back at the same prompt with no core6 running.  Grub does not
> > appear and the result is - Windows comes up rather than linux.
> >
> > I am totally lost now.  There is no sign at all that there is even Linux
> > installed on this computer, and yet I just took off centos which was
> > working fine and it used grub as its windows manager.
> >
> > I have two harddrives (hda and hdb).
> > HDA is for Windows and HDB for Linux.
> >
> > That is how it was with centos and previous versions of linux such as
> > core5.  It always worked fine.
> > Now I get nothing when I reboot the machine other than windows..
> >
> > What am I overlooking?  And is there a way that I can bring up this
> > installed version of Fedora (core6) using the rescue disk?  If this is
> > possible what would be the boot line to get things running?
> ----
> try booting the FC-6 Installation Disc 1 or the rescue CD and typing at
> boot prompt...
>
> linux rescue

Did that..

> after it boots, it provides a message and offers to 'mount' any FC-6
> installations it finds (good idea)

Not really, but it will if you know what to type in... I don't..

> You can confirm the installation by typing at command line...
>
> fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Right on.  Did that, been there.

> it should list at least 2 partitions on hdb...
>
> approximately 100 mb /boot partition
> balance of partition in one big LVM partition
>
> If you can locate those, you could try...
>
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> grub-install -v /dev/hda

I did the grub-
install /dev/hda,  .../dev/hdb1,  .../dev/hda1, .../dev/hdb...
...and while it looked like it was working, it didn't.  A reboot proved
that for sure.

There is just something different about this core6.  I don't know what
it is other than it can't install grub.  Since I wrote this query to the
list I took off core6 and install CENTOS.  It went on beautifully
together with GRUB.  No problem at all.

So, what in the world is wrong with CORE6??