Re: internet access via proxy server

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:14:11 +0800
From: "Art Fore" <art.fore@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: internet access via proxy server
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

I am trying to add software and/or update, but machine cannot reach
internet. I know about the proxy for the browser, but setting it still does
not help even the web browser. I cannot even ping my desktop machine from
the server machine, but I can ping the server from the desktop and I can use
NX an/or SSH from the desktop to the server machine. The other machines in
the office can also access the samba shares on the server with windows.

Art

On my linux server at work, I use the following:

In /etc/profile.d I have a file called proxy.sh

The contents of proxy.sh look like this:

#proxy.sh
export http_proxy=http://username:password@myprosyserver:port/
export ftp_proxy=http://username:password@myprosyserver:port/
export no_proxy=http://username:password@myprosyserver:port/
export HTTP_PROXY=http://username:password@myprosyserver:port/
export FTP_PROXY=http://username:password@myprosyserver:port/

chmod 755 proxy.sh to set it executable.

I use yum with this and it works great. You might have to fiddle with the settings if you don't use username/password authentication on your proxy server. Also, you should check in /etc/bashrc for this for loop:

for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh; do
       if [ -r "$i" ]; then
           . $i
   fi
   done

If you don't have this, you will need to add it so that the proxy.sh is called when bash starts up.

Hope this helps!

begin:vcard
fn:Dave Lester
n:Lester;Dave
adr:;;26 Haskell Rd;Pepperell;MA;01463;United States
email;internet:dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:978-842-4020
tel;cell:978-808-0237
note:http://www.davelester.net