Re: Rpm download

On Thursday 30 November 2006 16:31, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Thursday 30 November 2006 15:50, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>>Compare that to a server properly configured for .rpm software
>>>packages:
>>>
>>>$ curl --head
>>> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/Fed
>>>or a/RPMS/curl-7.15.5-1.fc6.i386.rpm HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>>>Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:48:48 GMT
>>>Server: Apache
>>>Last-Modified: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:21:52 GMT
>>>ETag: "107529d-3a07b-9ee00400"
>>>Accept-Ranges: bytes
>
>[...]
>
>> I see.  Interesting is that the fedora page didn't even have
>> a "content-type' listing.  But it usually works.
>
>Eh?  It has a content-type header (which I highlighted as right).

Duh, and I'm going blind in my advanced years, sorry Todd.

>> What should the lacie site be returning as a content type?
>
>They should be returning application/x-rpm.  At the very least, they
>should not be returning a real audio content-type.  In apache you can
>easily change the content type returned for a file type on a
>per-directory or even a per-file basis.  I have no clue whether the
>Windows IIS server can do this or not, but they should find a way to
>make it happen if they plan to serve up .rpm software.

True, OTOH, since Lacie is the sole src of such a utility, maybe we can be
a little forgiving of the winderz weenies (poor, uneducated chaps though
they may be)  & use our right click workaround?  It works nicely and I
appreciate their going to the trouble to make it linux compatible, so I
don't want to bite the hand that holds the offering. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)