Re: Rpm download

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 15:26:38 -0500,
  Anthony J Placilla <anthony_placilla@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 November 2006 09:20, jim tate wrote:
> >> Downloading a rpm from the sight below, When I click on rpm to save in
> >> FC 6 all that happens it open a RealPlayer window , I can't even do a
> >> "Save link" that doesn't work either.
> >> This site is the only site I have had this problem with.
> >> What gives?
> >>
> > The browsers all come configured for winderz syntaxes for some reason, and
> > that think an .rpm is a realplayer file of some sort.  The cure is to
> > right click on the url and chose the 'save as' option.  Or find and fix
> > the file associations which I haven't yet.
> >
> > Frankly, that really should be bugzilla'd, its a PITA.  But I'm too lazy.
> >
> >> Jim
>

> /etc/mime.types?

It is already in mime.types.
What is more likely happening is the server doesn't have it in its mime.types
file (or the equivalent) and the appropiate type is not being sent to
the browser. The browser is not supposed to use the url string to determine the
mime type of an object being downloaded. Browsers that do this are seriously
broken.