Re: installing kernel.org kernels

On Thursday 30 November 2006 07:25, Matthew Miller wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 07:12:00AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> 1. During the boot, I saw a message go by indicating that TUX was not
>> supported by this kernel.  Frankly, I hadn't figured out what it as
>> for when it starts about 60 copies of itself at boot time that AFAIK,
>> have never done anything constructive for *me* that I know of.  Can
>> someone comment about this for my edification?  And if it does serve a
>> usefull purpose, how can I re-enable it in a make xconfig?
>
>rpm -qi tux
>
>It's a web server designed for winning benchmarks. Sounds like you don't
>want it. Uninstall the tux package.

Did just that a few minutes ago, thanks

>> 2. Trying to do this as a user rather than root because you all decry
>> my running everything as root.  To that end I have broken my 'makeit'
>> script in two, doing all the building as myself and leaving the
>> installation to a separate script that must be run as root.  This
>> seems to work, but is there a way to run as the common user and still
>> have rights to install the modules in /lib/modules/$kernelver, and to
>> install the pieces and links in /boot that are required to achieve a
>> working boot?
>
>I think splitting the job is the right way to do this. Or better, making
> an RPM with the updated kernel and using that.

That's basicly what I've done now.  And then to make an rpm out of it?
Naww, this compiler runs at paint drying speeds now, 30 minutes is plenty
long enough to build a kernel that would build when I was running FC2 in
10 minutes.  Somebody really, seriously, needs to give that thing some of
the Good Gulf, its not running worth a toot on this economy grade 87
octane stuff. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)