Re: Looking for tool to recover data from damaged DVDs

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 20:21 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 11/28/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Is there some tool to recover data from damaged DVDs?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Is it scratched? Or what? What kind of damage?
> >
> > You might go by a place which sells video games for Play Stations
> > and the like, and get a "CD polishing" or "DVD restorer" kit. I
> > haven't used one.
>
> My DVDs do not look damaged or scratched, but I am always getting I/O
> errors. Is there some way of circumventing those I/O errors?
>
> Paul

One trick is to wash them with dishwashing detergent and a soft lint
free cloth (diaper).  And then dry them with an identical clean lint
free cloth.  Finger prints, smudges and so forth can impair the ability
to read DVD's.
 Don't soak them.  use the soap and make a low suds solution, wipe it
on, and rinse it off with a damp soft cloth, then dry and polish with
the dry lint free cloth.

Regards,
Les H