Re: Can an LCD display be damaged by the wrong display output?

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 21:07 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 07:06 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> > I have a Planar 20" PL2010M LCD monitor. I attached it to an Athlon 64
> > system running FC6 and using the nvidia proprietary driver (the latest
> > available). I tried (foolishly) the 1920x1080 interlaced output. The
> > monitor said it was outside the range. I reset to 1600x1200
> > noninterlaced and everything was fine. Later I connected a similar
> > computer (running FC5) that was displaying 1920x1080i (same nvidia card
> > - 5700LE or such). I noticed my mistake right away and I immediately
> > disconnected the monitor. Now, the PL2010M won't display anything.
>
> I can't imagine an LCD monitor failing for that sort of reason. CRTs get
> damaged, that way, because the EHT used to drive the tube is derived
> from the video signals (directly or indirectly).  The voltage changes
> with the frequency, and can go too far from tolerable.
>
> LCDs don't work that way.  Their power isn't related to the incoming
> video signal.  I'd be more inclined to believe three things:
>
> 1:  You're plugging it into something that's not providing a useable
> signal, so you're not seeing anything.
>
> 2:  Damage to the video connectors or cables.
>
> 3:  Pure chance that a fault developed at the same time.  It could well
> be that if you'd picked up the monitor, and not done anything else but
> move it, that a fault might have developed.
Hey, you can always return it... especially if you take some victim
stance and wail about it being almost Xmas, taxes are due, your hip is
in need of replacement, the family pet has become old and incontinent
and must be put to sleep, that kinda thing. Or, you could get aggressive
and show consumer teeth over the quality of this dead parrot. Whatever,
just see if they will replace it. They did say that what you did
shouldn't have blown it up, right? I just wouldn't 'mention' that bit
again. Ric