Re: New to Fedora, struggling with wireless

Cecilia Lunardini wrote:
> I copy it at the end of this message. In it, I see a
> relevant piece of information: "Intel Corporation
> PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection"

There's the rub.  The driver for the 3945 isn't in the kernel yet.
There are a few ways to go about getting it installed.  I've been
using the packages from ATrpms for a while now and I'll try to briefly
describe how to install the needed pieces.  You mentioned that you had
someone do the install for you, perhaps you could ply them with
chocolate, liquor, or some combination thereof to help out. :)

0) Open a terminal and become root (su - or sudo -i)

1) Setup the ATrpms repo (excerpted from atrpms.net/install.html)
   Put the following text into /etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms.repo:

   [atrpms]
   name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - ATrpms
   baseurl=http://dl.atrpms.net/fc$releasever-$basearch/atrpms/stable
   gpgkey=http://ATrpms.net/RPM-GPG-KEY.atrpms
   gpgcheck=1
   enabled=0

2) Install the driver kernel module and firmware

   yum --enablerepo atrpms install ipw3945

   This should install the ipw3945 package and several dependencies,
   ieee80211-kmdl, ipw3945-kmdl, ipw3945-ucode, and ipw3945d.

3) Setup the regulatory daemon
   Save http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/rpms/ipw3945d/ipw3945d.init
   as /etc/init.d/ipw3945 and set its ownership and permissions
   properly.  (watch for line wrapping in your mail program with the
   following commands.)

   wget -O /etc/init.d/ipw3945 http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/rpms/ipw3945d/ipw3945d.init
   chown root. /etc/init.d/ipw3945
   chmod 755 /etc/init.d/ipw3945

   Setup the service so it will start and stop at the proper times

   chkconfig --add ipw3945

4) Reboot to test that the driver gets loaded and the regulatory
   daemon is started.

I'm using this card with FC6 and NetworkManager and it works quite
well for me.  Hopefully once you get over this initial hurdle, you'll
enjoy playing with and using Fedora too.

Hope this helps and hope I've not made any typos or missed important
steps...

Whenever 'A' attempts by law to impose his moral standards upon 'B',
'A' is most likely a scoundrel.
    -- H. L. Mencken