Re: Looking for tool to recover data from damaged DVDs

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 20:21 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:

My DVDs do not look damaged or scratched, but I am always getting I/O
errors. Is there some way of circumventing those I/O errors?

Paul

I would take a piece of cotton and some ethyl alcohol and clean the disk
surface. That has always worked for me. I have an advantage in doing
this isnce I am a diabetic so I have a supply of alcohol wipes you can
get in your favorite drugstore.

If one does this, one should make sure to use radial strokes,
going from the center to the circumference, and to avoid either
strokes which are parallel to the circumference or are circular.
The FEC used on those discs can correct occasional bit errors
on the track, but not long bursts. Using strokes along a radius
makes perhaps many bit errors, but on different tracks, not
bursts along a track.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.