RE: We need a Yast in Fedora

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 11:20 -0800, James D. Parra wrote:
> > Personally, I like ncurses Yast. You can accomplish a lot quickly with the
> > tool and it is easy to use. A great admin app' if you don't run X on your
> > systems. I'd like to see it, or something very similar, in Fedora.
> >
> > James
> >

> >No way.  Yast blows.  I get sick and tired of it hanging in mid update,
> >or post-update.  It's a giant pain in my hiney to use on the Altix3700
> >it's running on.  I'll stick to CLI.
>
> Updating the system is only one component of administration. The other tools
> within Yast are so useful, I wouldn't let that single item stop me from
> using the rest of the functionality in Yast. I have yet to see the perfect
> tool.

I wouldn't think it would be impossible to build the 'perfect tool'
though. The thing that blew that (crud! cannot remember the name of the
caldera all-in-one application they had back when) whateverits name out
of the water was that it wouldn't check for hand-edits... it would blow
them off reading from it's own history file. A really good one would
read the conf files each time and go from there. Jeeeezzz. what was the
name of that thing? The guy that wrote it really tried hard, and his
heart was in the right place... but this is a pretty tough crowd...
ornery too!  It went down in flames and ashes, tomatoes tossed with
great abandon. Someone help me on this... what was the name of that? Ric