Re: PC Speaker... yet again

Eli Barzilay wrote:
I just upgraded a machine from FC2 to FC6, and I have another with
FC5, and on both FC6 and FC5 the speaker is no longer working.  I have
the

  modprobe pcspkr

in my rc.local (which, IIUC, should not be necessary on FC6 by
default), and I tried to manually rmmod it and modprobe it back in --
nothing works.  I also tried playing around with the alsa
configuration, misc gui configurations and nothing gets it back on.

Does anyone have an idea how to get the damn speaker working again?

(It used to be so simple, and ever since someone decided that it
should be off by default, this speaker issue got blown up into a
constant PITA...)

In FC6, open the Volume Control. Go to the Switches tab and make sure that the "External Amplifier" checkbox is checked.

If the "External Amplifier" box is not present, go to Edit, then Preferences, scroll down to the bottom and check "External Amplifier" there. Then it should show on the Switches tab.

In FC5, IIRC, the same checkbox was present on the Switches tab by default, but check to be sure.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz