Gremlins with FC6 on Dell Optiplex GX270...

I made the jump to FC6 over the long weekend--

Fresh install on a Dell Optiplex GX270 and installed all updates:

Most initial problems have been worked out, but I have a few gremlins...

1. Running a Radeon 7000/VE card with two monitors connected via the DVI
   splitter.  System->Admin->Display will allow me to configure the second
   monitor, but it will not save the configuration (the button simply does
   nothing-- xorg.conf is not written).  I pulled my xorg.conf file
   from backups (when machine was running FC2 and that config works-- although
   I do have some sparkles depending on how "busy" the displays are).
   I have not downloaded any proprietary drivers-- should I?

2. Test sounds worked fine after install, but I can't seem to get the
   microphone working. I'm trying to get Skype (FC5 version) working again.
   I've tried various mixers -- enabling the mic and setting the level up--
   no go.

3. I'm running Netbackup Client (vers 4.5FP6) on this system. If I try to
   select any files from within xbp (the X-based recovery tool), it
   immediately segfaults. I had to play some library games
   (ln -s libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2) to get
   it working at all.

4. Is there a version of the /etc/mailcap file that takes full advantage
   of all the stuff in OpenOffice?? I've installed the mailcap package,
   but the file is pretty thin (e.g., no entry to launch oocalc for XLS files).
   I can't believe someone hasn't been down this path before...

Thanks for any help/suggestions/pointers....

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25