Re: Configuring ip address

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 09:08 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I've come from kubuntu Linux, and I see different tools are used in
> Fedora for network configuration.
>
> In kubuntu, I was prompted for a machine name during install. After
> getting the system up, I'd edit /etc/network/interfaces to set the
> static ip address I want to use on my subnet, do an ifdown, ifup and I
> was there.
>
> In Fedora, I wasn't prompted for a machine name on the subnet, and there
> is no /etc/network/interfaces file to edit. While I know this is just a
> matter of getting used to a different way of doing things, I don't see
> the silver bullet in the documentation (which probably means that it's
> conspicuous and obvious - one of Murphy's Laws, I think).
>
> Would someone be so kind as to help me get the the machine name set and
> switch from the dynamic IP to a static ip on my subnet? I see the kde
> network configurator, but (as this can really break things), I wanted to
> check with you experts first.
>
> As always - thanks in advance.
----
as root...

system-config-network # for GUI hostname in DNS tab
                      # hosts tab edits /etc/hosts

or you can manually configure by editing

/etc/hosts # host names on the lan
/etc/sysconfig/network # hostname
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 # ip address

and then finally

/sbin/service network restart

Craig