Re: Rebuild computer with Intel DG965WH motherboard

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 16:50:09 -0800
Gordon Charrick <gordonmc@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I decided it's time to rebuild my computer and replace the aging Asus
> motherboard and Matrox graphics card and old ATA drives.
>
> I went to Fry's and picked out a motherboard that I hope will work
> with no problems. At least I have 15 days to return it. I also picked
> up a couple Maxtor SATA drives. I plan to use the onboard graphics
> and sound.
>
> Doing some googling, I'm not quite sure how compatible all the
> hardware will be with FC6. It looks like there might be a problem
> with DVD drive.
>
> Before I go through the time and hassle of taking apart my perfectly
> working computer to replace all the innards only to find I may have
> to get a different motherboard, I thought I'd ask the list for
> recommendations on current motherboards that can handle dual-core
> processors. Fry's has a dizzying array of motherboards in stock so
> picking one is no easy task when it comes to Linux.
>
> --

I have an Intel DG965WH mobo.
at install time you have to use "linux all-generic-ide"
For me it worked then without trouble (install from FC6-DVD)

At normal boot the CD-drive is not recognized at the moment.
I can bring it in by editing the kernel line with
 "all-generic-ide irqpoll"
Then it will read and write CD/DVD.

Nice board, runs compiz (well, I did not check all the possibilities)
Good luck, have fun.

irqpoll