Re: ssh -X shop problem...

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 23:32 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> -----------
> >> X was started by root, as usual.
> >>
> >> Where did I mess up?  Where is this access control list being
> >> maintained and is it editable by mortals?  Or where is this magic
> >> cookie key?, and how do I refresh it to valid status?
> >>
> >> This exact procedure worked just fine when I was running FC2 (with
> >> xorg-6.8.1-901 hand built on this box.)
> >
> >----
> >remote X-windows doesn't work when you do an 'su' unless before you do
> >that, you have to authorize the local user to use x which just
> >complicates things.
>
> But the application isn't built nor intended to be run as root.
----
most X-Windows programs are that way. Remember, it isn't a problem
running GUI as root until it's a problem...well, it's a problem.
----

> >don't do an su and you'll be able to use remote x-windows
> >
> >better yet...freenx rocks
>
> Do I need it installed on both machines?
----
freenx - like X itself is both a client and server.

why not follow instructions...google is your friend

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/

Craig