Re: What's a good lock box ??

On Sunday 26 November 2006 16:22, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Need suggestions for a good lockbox -- a specialized application or an
> appropriate technique for locking away sensitive personal information.

  I'd recommend instead using encrypted file system - such as fuse-encfs - its
easy to use and everything you put into the private directory is encrypted.
You can toss your firefox directory in there too and add a soft link in the
~/mozilla/firefox - so all your browser info is encrypted. And by saving
things underneath Private/visible they will be kept secure.

 Quick insructions:

 (1)  [as root]
  # yum install fuse-encfs

  (2) [as user create a place to hold the encrypted files
   and a 'mount' point to see the decrypted visible versions of same]

  % mkdir ~/Private/.encrypted ~/Private/visible

 (3)  [Now set up a password to encrypt/decrypt]
   Remember it. Run this every time you are ready to use it.]

  % encfs ~/Private/.secret ~/Private/visible

  (4)  Use ~/Private/visible -
        whatever goes in there will  look normal, but will
         actually be stored encrypted  in ~/Private/.encrypted

  (5) To ensure this is shutoff when you logogg in kde
  put this script in ~/.kde/shutdown
  #!/bin/bash
  #
  #