Re: HOstname - LInux - postfix

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Guillermo Garron wrote:

On 11/25/06, Maillist-Norm <maillist@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Guillermo Garron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have this problem
>
> my email server's DNS name is
>
> ns1.mydomain.com, and it is registered in the reverse DNS also with
> that name, when i installed my server at the hostname i entered
>
> centos-server.mydomain.com
>
> when i tried to send an email from the root console with
>
> # mail root
>
> the email is returned saying that
>
> root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, could not be verified
>
> i used the command
> # hostname ns1.mydomain.com
> and also edited the file.
>
> /etc/hosts,
> but i have the same result, the hostname did not change, i even
> restart my server with no luck.
>
> what am I missing?
>
> regards,
>
> Guillermo.

The only way I have been able to get a name change to stick is to boot
into level 3 and edit  etc/sysconfig/network.
Norm
Thanks Norm,

this really worked!

The same effect can be had by changing the hostname in the DNS tab of system-config-network. Contents of /etc/hosts can be edited from the Hosts tab.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu