Re: OT Ubuntu reaches out to embarrassed SuSE devs

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 14:08, Kurt Wall wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 09:33:55AM -0700, grumpy wrote:
> > On Saturday 25 November 2006 09:23, Alan wrote:
> > > Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. We have "lets ship probably
> > > illegal binary modules with the next version of the OS" lecturing people
> > > who struck a deal with Microsoft which is borderline on the GPL.
> > This kind of geek elitism is holding all of us back
>
> On my planet, Alan's comment isn't "geek elitism," it's "adhering to the
> license terms." And binary modules likely violate the kernel's license
> terms.

What does 'likely' mean?  First you'd have to show that a device
driver is a derived work from the kernel in copyright terms, since
that is all that the GPL can cover - which is a pretty odd concept
to begin with.  And if you did that, I think you would also be
validating SCO's claims that work that IBM originally did for unix
must fall under the unix copyright.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx