Re: We need a Yast in Fedora

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Saturday 25 November 2006 18:32, jim tate wrote:

What you haven't explained, and I would like to understand is how a
newbie won't be able to find the Administration sub menu.

Because the KDEadmin is not installed as default.

Ji, you're surely not suggesting that these people should be left to do their own initial install and setup? If I were trying to convince anyone of anything about linux I would give them an install that would achieve all their immediate needs, and that surely means install some non-default packages for them.

Becoming familiar with any new OS is enough to handle at once for non-geeks. It's worth remembering, though, that with vista on the way they are going to have to do that anyway - assuming they can shell out the cash to upgrade their systems.

Anne

Fedora doesn't necessary need anything like Yast.

What it needs, more than anything else, is a proper manual of instructions, including a proper section on how to get started. I've never found that anywhere. Instead I have to look this way and that for everything. Some things I still haven't figured out--such as how to build an NFS network while still keeping each machine under the protection of iptables. I've tried every setting I can imagine, and I still couldn't get NFS to work--so I wound up using Samba to share files and printers between and among Linux boxes.

Could Yast iron that out? Somehow I doubt it.

As I said--don't add in something called "yet another system tool" or any other software layer between the user and his machine. Just tell the user how to set things up and forget about them.

Temlakos