Can't install a dual boot system

I have a windows xp box with 25 gig of unformted non partitioned space
space on a dynamic drive.  The hard drive is partitioned into 2 ntfs
partitions for xp.
When I attempt to install either core6 of Ubuntu the boot windows
partition is recognized and the remainder of the drive is lumped into
as single partition of an unrecognized format type.  If I format a 3rd
partition on the drive and format it as ntfs under windows (my only
choice) it is still not recognized when I attempt to install any linux
system.
Both qparted and Gparted report the file system  as unknown on the
second and third volume on the drive.
How do I prepare the drive so I can use the remaining portion as a
linux OS. I can format and use the drive as a windows drive but that is
not what I want and reformatting is not an option.

--
Norm
Recycle your old computers