Re: Fedora 6 install problems

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 09:24:38AM -0800, Ivan Kronkvist wrote:

> I bought a new PC (Dell Dimension w/ Pentium D) and
> installed Fedora 6 on it. All went fine and after the
> install the system was rebooted and I was able to log
> on. I then did shutdown and when I tried to boot up
> the next day, the bootup process hung after enabling
> disk quotas. I searched the archive and found a
> similar post that suggested that the graphics wasn't
> working. I rebooted with linux rescue, changed the
> runlevel to 3 in inittab, and now I saw a stack trace
> and a Segmentation Fault for the line in rc.sysinit
> that does a rm -rf on a bunch of things in /tmp.
>
> I have tried to reinstall, but my original DVD didn't
> work, the install got hung while resolving
> dependencies of the packets I want to install. I have
> downloaded Fedora 6 another 4 times and burned new
> DVDs, but the installation process complains on each
> of them that the DVD image is broken when I test the
> DVD before starting to install. (the original DVD
> passed before my initial install, but since has the
> same problem when I test it.) If I try to install from
> any of these DVDs, the install still hangs when
> resolving packages.

Several thoughts here. You should grab the sha1sums for the DVD ISO,
and use that to verify the image. If it is OK, you don't need to pull
it in again. E.g:

[root@charlesc fc6]# sha1sum -c SHA1SUM
sha1sum: FC-6-i386-rescuecd.iso: No such file or directory
FC-6-i386-rescuecd.iso: FAILED open or read
sha1sum: FC-6-i386-disc1.iso: No such file or directory
FC-6-i386-disc1.iso: FAILED open or read
sha1sum: FC-6-i386-disc2.iso: No such file or directory
FC-6-i386-disc2.iso: FAILED open or read
sha1sum: FC-6-i386-disc3.iso: No such file or directory
FC-6-i386-disc3.iso: FAILED open or read
sha1sum: FC-6-i386-disc4.iso: No such file or directory
FC-6-i386-disc4.iso: FAILED open or read
FC-6-i386-DVD.iso: OK
sha1sum: FC-6-i386-disc5.iso: No such file or directory
FC-6-i386-disc5.iso: FAILED open or read
sha1sum: WARNING: 6 of 7 listed files could not be read

(Note that the one in which you are interested was successful.)

There have been problems with the media verification code in Anaconda,
and I don't know if they have all been fixed. I would verify on the
writing machine by first mounting the new DVD and the ISO image, and
comparing. E.g.:

[root@charlesc fc6]# mkdir foo
[root@charlesc fc6]# mount -o loop FC-6-i386-DVD.iso foo
[root@charlesc fc6]# mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrecorder/
[root@charlesc fc6]# diff -r foo/ /media/cdrecorder/

If that succeeds, you should be good to go. Of course if you are
burning on one drive and reading from another, there could be a
compatibility problem. I solve this by putting a DVD burner in a USB
clam shell and installing from it.

> I don't know if there is a hardware problem. It seems
> hard to imagine since it is a brand new PC and before
> I even started install linux, I booted up with the
> Windows XP that it came with and everything appeared
> to be fine. However, trying to reinstall Windows XP
> from the DVD I got in the purchase also fails. It
> somehow hangs while booting from the DVD giving me a
> blank screen.

Not encouraging. Is the computer still under warranty and can you take
it in to the store?

Have you run memtest86 on it? It's on the DVD and you can run it by
entering "memtest" at the initial prompt.

I would also run badblocks on the hard drive (boot to a live CD Linux
like finnix for the purpose).