Re: Can't bring up Fedora Core 6

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 08:56:45PM -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> After installing Fedora Core 6, I couldn't get it to boot.
>
> The first time, I tried installing it with gnome and kde. Note that I
> tested the media before installation. When I tried to boot it after
> installation, it hung at syscall_call+0x7/0xb.
>
> I tried another installation, this time with just gnome (I figured I
> could install kde after the system was up). When I tried to boot it
> after install, I got
>
> Mounting local filesyste          [Failed]
> Enabling local filesystem quotas  [OK]
> Enabling /etc/fstab swaps
>
> It was at this point that it hung. I fell back to ubuntu edgy (which I'm
> trying to get away from) in order to get my system back up.
>
> Can anyone offer any help? I can't get Fedora up at all.
>
> ---Michael

This happens to be the point where the boot sequence switches to
graphical mode (if /usr and / are on different partitions, otherwise it
would be in graphical mode some steps earlier).
So the best bet would be that there is a problem with the graphics card.

To find out more, try this:
- reboot
- in the grub boot loader screen, first press a key to see the menu,
then press 'a' to modify the kernel arguments
- from the line of kernel options, remove 'rhgb' and 'quiet', and add '3'
(all without the quotes). This disables the graphical boot, makes the
boot sequence more verbose, and boots to runlevel 3, that is, without X
started, so you will have a text mode system on which you can login,
view logs, attempt to reconfigure X etc. maybe the boot messages or
system logs will give you a clue about the cause of the problem

David Jansen