Re: Changing home directory

Joachim Backes wrote:
Mattia Gandolfi wrote:
arora.himanshu@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
I want to change my home directory from /home/me to /tmp/me without getting root involved. It also means that whether I do ssh or scp or ftp or telnet it should see my home directory as /tmp/me. Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

usermod -dm /tmp/me <your_username>

You are sure? The manpage says:

CAVEATS
usermod will not allow you to change the name of a user who is logged in.

How to do it without logging in (as root or user)?

it can only be done logging in as root (or as a user belonging to root group). It can't be done logging is as the user itself (as the manpage correctly says), or as another user (which obviously would not have the permission to do so).

I see no way to do it without logging in at all... you could modify /etc/passwd and "push" it to the machine using wathever you want (scp for example), but this means logging in anyway)

Cheers

Mattia

--
Mattia Gandolfi
Global Professional Services
Red Hat Italia
http://www.redhat.com
begin:vcard
fn:Mattia Gandolfi
n:Gandolfi;Mattia
org:Red Hat Italia;EMEA Global Professional Services
adr:;;via Antonio da Recanate 1;Milano;MI;20124;Italy
email;internet:mgandolf@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Consultant
tel;work:+390297374652
tel;cell:+393346564553