Re: Problems with FC6 install

--- Shealene <oregon_tech@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> More info:
> This is specifically what I have tried.
>
> Login as root. Set up user id, password..then startx
> it crashes...
> Then do a $su -
> #system-config-display
>
> it crashes. I get a bunch of info on the screen but
> not sure how to
> capture it for a file. Anyone know?

Since you get a shell
$
type script configureX.log
then type
$ su -
Password:
#

Now type
system-config-display
Let it do its thing.
When it finishes/crashes/***?
you should see a
#
type exit (two times since you will start as regular
user) and it should tell you script
script done on ....
and give you a
$

If you know the Model of your Monitor and how much
Horizontal Frequency
and
Vertical Frequency
The monitor has for instance, I have a ViewSonic
Graphics Series G75f, Monitor it has the following
Frequency, which I got from
http://www.viewsonic.com/support/desktopdisplays/crtmonitors/graphicseries/g75fplusb/

INPUT SIGNAL  	Video  	RGB analog (75 ohms, 0.7 Vp-p)
Sync 	H/V separated (TTL), composite
Frequency 	Fh: 30~86kHz; Fv: 50~160Hz

It goes into xorg.conf as follows

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "ViewSonic"
        ModelName    "Graphics Series G75f"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 86.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 180.0
        Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

you can type them your self as root
#
you could also try
# Xorg -configure
it will return something like to test your Xorg file
type the following.
If you get back a mouse cursor on the middle of the
screen it is a start.
# cp /root/Xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
it will ask you to overwrite existing Xorg.conf you
can say no and back up the one that you already have
# cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-bak
then try the previous step again
and go ahead and type startx
You should at least get a working desktop.

Regards,

Antonio