New to Fedora, struggling with wireless

Hi,

I apologize if my question has already been addressed.
 I need a particularly detailed answer, given my low
level of expertise.

I have just installed Fedora 6 on my new laptop,  a
Sony VAIO SZ360P/C Notebook with Intel Centrino.
While a wired internet connection works, I can not
find a way to set up a wireless connection.

I have tried a number of things, already.  I checked
that my wireless network is working and I have no
reasons to suspect a hardware problem.
Following what I have read on various forums, I have
tried to install a wireless driver, only to get
totally lost with various other problems, like the
fact that yum and gcc seem not to work (even though I
see that both of them are installed), and others.

It is hard to believe that the matter must be so
complicated.
So, my question is: is there a step by step, guide on
how to set up the wireless?  It has to be very
detailed, because I am an absolute beginner and even
the most obvious aspects of Linux are not obvious to
me.

If such guide does not exist, and someone has the
patience to make one, I would immensely appreciate
that.

Thank you very much!

Cecilia

Cheap talk?