Re: OCR - tesseract needs work :-)

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 09:12:26PM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> For curiosity, I downloaded and tried to build the tesseract OCR
> app that appeared in the original OCR message thread earlier.
>
> It may have worked with the 2.96 gcc on a 32 bit system, but
> the 4.1 gcc on my 64 bit FC6 system has fits.
>
> Looking at some of the fits it is throwing, I can see that the
> code simply has 64 bit problems - I don't think it will build
> on a 64 bit system without a lot of work.
>
> using CC="gcc -m32" and CXX="g++ -m32" env vars to force it
> to build 32 bit, I get a lot farther, but run into more problems
> with the new compiler complaining about gcc/g++ conflicting
> declarations.
>
> Probably not hard to fix, but tesseract definitely isn't as
> easy to build as ocrad or gocr.

True. And even on a GCC that will successfully build one that
actually runs you still get a ton of warnings.

Since my interest was in using tesseract I haven't pursued the
warnings or compilation issues on later compilers. Hopefully
SOMEONE will...

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked